Compare your purchase history with the charges on your billing statement
- Go to Reports > Transaction History to see all your itemized Upwork charges.
- Upwork displays your transaction history in U.S. Dollars. Currency conversion rates and fees may cause variation in the amounts.
- Credit card charges will include a reference number on your billing statement in the format “UPWORK-xxxxxxxxxREF”
- The xxxxxxxxx represents the Upwork transaction Ref ID (shown in the far right column in your Transaction History).
- The letters after the number indicate the transaction type. Billing for freelancer’s work is labeled REF with an ID to match the debit transaction on your account. Other types include Membership, MnthFee (Monthly Fee), Connects, and USDVerify (when verifying a credit card via two small charges, the x.xx-x.xxUSD represents the Dollar values to enter on the verification form rather than a reference number).
Check the status of your subscriptions
Learn how to view, change, or cancel your subscriptions
- Client Payment Processing Fees
- Freelancer Memberships Fees
- Enterprise — Please contact your account team with any questions
Understand your billing methods
Upwork will charge your primary billing method on file. If your primary source fails, we may charge your backup payment source. Make sure your preferred billing method is set as primary in Settings > Billing Methods.
If you ever added your credit or debit card to another Upwork account, the unrecognized charges might be made from that account. Please repeat all of these for every Upwork account. Then press the Get Help From Upwork button to talk to us about combining your accounts (you can control multiple companies from within a single Upwork account).
Associates with access to your cards or accounts
If anyone else has access to your card or additional cards associated with your credit or debit account, check with them. Someone else could be billing to your card.
Change your password
If you suspect your account may have been compromised, please immediately change your password.
Get more help
If you compared your PayPal, credit card or bank statement to your Upwork Transaction history and still don't recognize the charge, press the Get Help button. (Don’t have an Upwork account? Use the link below the button instead.)
Please be sure to include the following information:
- Credit Cards: Date of charge, amount, currency, reference number, card type, and last four digits
- PayPal: Date of charge, amount, PayPal email, PayPal Reference #
- Bank Account: Date of charge, amount, bank name, last 4 digits of the account number