In this article:


Countries and jurisdictions where you live or do business may charge taxes that apply to your transactions on Upwork, including:

  • Services you purchase from Upwork, such as featured job posts, for example
  • Services you purchase from freelancers on Upwork

These taxes may be called sales tax, value-added tax (VAT), goods and services tax (GST), digital services tax (DST), sales and services tax (SST), indirect tax, consumption tax, or other names in your country. The amount, who pays, and which services are taxed also vary.

We’re required to comply with the tax laws of the countries where we do business, including collecting taxes and remitting them — which means to send the money we collect from you to the tax authority of the government that requires the tax.

Some governments require us to ask you for tax-related information, such as a tax ID number, even when we’re not collecting tax from you. You may need information or forms from us, too.

You may be liable for taxes in your country even when we are not required to collect them on Upwork, so it’s important that you stay informed about your local tax laws and requirements. Consult with your local tax authority or tax advisor about any questions you have.

Tax articles by country

Choose your country from the drop-down list below to learn more about how taxes may impact you on Upwork.


These articles are meant for general information only and are not to be considered tax advice. They may not be updated in real time and may not reflect recent changes. We strongly encourage you to consult your country’s tax authority or your tax advisor with questions related to your specific situation.

Was this article helpful?

1 out of 20 found this helpful