Has your profile been changed to private? Learn more here.
Visibility settings help give you control over your work. They help you control when, where, and who you work with by choosing where and when your profile is displayed. They also control the display of your profile in search engines like Google.
Updating your settings can help set clear expectations with your prospective clients so that they aren’t frustrated by reaching out when you’re not there. It may also help make Upwork more convenient for you by helping reduce the messages you get when you’re busy or away.
Remember, it can take up to a day for your updates to display, and your profile may stay active in search engines for a few more days.
Change your profile visibility and access
If you plan to go on vacation, take a leave of absence, or otherwise wish to avoid receiving invitations or offers from potential clients, be sure to set yourself as Not Available.
- Select Profile > Profile Settings
- Choose a visibility option from the dropdown menu
- Public — Your profile will be visible to the entire internet, including clients, freelancers, and visitors. It’s also visible to search engines such as Google and Bing. Use this option if you want anyone with internet access to be able to view your Upwork profile.
- Only Upwork Users — Only logged-in Upwork members can find your profile and it’s hidden from search engines.
- Private — We’ll exclude your profile from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. People who aren’t logged into Upwork won’t be able to access your profile via a direct link. People who are logged into Upwork and have access to your direct profile link will only be able to see your first name, last initial, title, photo, rate, city, and country.
It may take up to 1 week for your profile to stop/start appearing in search engine results if you have changed your profile visibility settings. If you have changed your profile visibility from Public to Only Upwork Users or Private and are still appearing in Google search results, you can put in a manual request by using the Google Search Console.