To end a contract
- Go to Jobs › My Jobs to locate the contract
- Click the (...) options menu and select End contract, or select the End contract button on your dashboard
- Click End Contract to confirm
Please consider the following before you end a contract
- The system locks your freelancer’s Work Diary immediately.
- You will be billed for hours logged but may dispute them according to the usual weekly billing cycle.
- Both you and your freelancer or agency can leave feedback. It is a double-blind system. Your freelancer or agency can't see the feedback you left them until after they have left feedback for you.
- Freelancers and agencies can give a refund on any active or ended contract for payments made within the last 180 days.
Several important (and irreversible) things happen when you end a contract. All Upwork users have the freedom to end a contract any time, but please talk to your freelancer or agency first because it is always best if everyone is aware of what's going on and in agreement about it.
Here are some best practices for ending the contract positively
- Discuss the work with your freelancer or agency. Has the work been completed to your satisfaction?
- If the contract was hourly, give the freelancer or agency the opportunity to check the current week's Work Diary and make adjustments, if necessary. This can help you both avoid a dispute later.
- If this is a fixed-price contract, you'll have the opportunity to make a payment on the end contract form.