An important, last step in your project includes ending the contract you have with your freelancer and leaving feedback on their performance once the work is done.
This feedback is incredibly valuable to all the clients who use Upwork, as it helps them see honest opinions about a freelancer’s work on Upwork. Because it’s so important, we hope you will take the time to provide it.
Ending a Contract
Before you end a contract, there’s a few important things to know:
- Once a contract is ended, our system will lock your freelancer’s Work Diary immediately, so you don’t have to worry about additional hours being billed.
- You will be billed for hours logged, but if there’s any issue, you can always dispute them during the usual weekly billing cycle review.
- Both you and your freelancer/agency can leave feedback. It is a double-blind system, which means your freelancer or agency will see the feedback you left them once they have left feedback for you.
- Freelancers and agencies can give a refund on any active or ended contract for payments made within the past 180 days.
To end a contract:
- Go to Jobs › All Contracts to find the contract
- Choose the (...) options button and select End contract, or select the End contract button on your dashboard
- Click End Contract to confirm
Additional tips for ending contracts
We give all clients and freelancers the freedom to end a contract at any time. Here are some tips for ending things on a positive note:
- Talk to your freelancer or agency before ending a contract as it is always best if everyone is aware of what's going on and in agreement about it. It also might give you the opportunity to resolve any issues that are prompting you to close the contract.
- Discuss the work with your freelancer or agency. Has the work been completed to your satisfaction?
- If the contract was hourly, give the freelancer or agency the opportunity to check the current week's Work Diary and make adjustments, if necessary. This can help you both avoid a dispute later.
- If this is a fixed-price contract, you'll have the opportunity to make a payment on the End Contract form.