Are you an Enterprise customer? Enterprise contracts will always have manual time enabled and you should discuss proper usage with your freelancer.
As a client, you may opt to enable or disable manual time for your freelancer at any time.
When enabled on an hourly contract, a freelancer may add manual time to their Work Diary and bill you for it. When disabled, a freelancer may only log time through the Upwork Desktop App (which provides you screenshots of their work while time is being logged).
You can enable or disable manual time in the following locations:
On the hire form:
- The Enable Manual Time checkbox is selected by default
- Deselect it to disable manual time for your freelancer
On an existing contract:
- Go to Jobs > Pick a Contract > Terms & Settings section
- Choose Manual Time to allow or disallow it
In a “Manual Time Request” message from your freelancer:
- Your freelancer at times might ask to add manual time by sending you a request with an explanation as to why they need to add manual time
- If you agree to allow the manual time, you can use the link in the message to enable manual time
Freelancers often use manual time to account for time spent on offline work, such as sketching or making phone calls, or anything that can't be accurately represented on their Work Diary. Manual time is not billed automatically and does not qualify for Upwork Hourly Protection.