Upwork understands that relationships create opportunity. We want you to create more relationships. Freelancers and Agencies use Upwork’s virtual currency, Connects, to build relationships with clients by submitting proposals for new work.
There are three ways to get Connects on Upwork.
Monthly FREE Connects
Each month, freelancers receive free Connects to help reach out to more clients.
Freelancer Basic accounts receive 10 free Connects each month, and Freelancer Plus accounts receive 80 Connects each month (including 10 FREE!). Learn more about Freelancer Plus accounts here.
Connects cost $0.15 (USD) each and are sold in bundles of 10, 20, 40, 60, and 80. To purchase additional Connects:
Once you’ve selected the bundle you wish to purchase, click Add Connects and your account will automatically be charged.
Freelancers and agencies can earn Connects by reaching out and building relationships with Upwork clients! Here are a few of the ways to earn Connects.
- Register for the first time. When you register as a new freelancer on Upwork, you’ll have 40 Connects to get started. When you complete the Upwork Readiness Test, you can win another 40 Connects -- that's 80 FREE Connects!
- Win an interview. When you submit a proposal to a client and win an interview, you’ll get a bonus of 10 Connects. You can earn up to 50 Connects every seven days.
- Complete an Upwork Skill Certification. If you earn an Upwork Skill Certification, you’ll enjoy a one-time Connects bonus.
- Earn a badge. If you qualify for an Upwork Talent Badge, you may receive bonus Connects with it!
To earn Connects from an interview, you have to complete three steps.
- Submit a proposal to a job.
- Win an interview from a client.
- Respond to the interview invitation.
Direct offers and invitations from clients won’t receive a Connects credit.
Redeem a Connects Reward
From time to time, Upwork rewards freelancers and agencies with FREE Connects as part of a limited promotion. You may receive one of these offers in an email, as part of a partnership, or from an event you've attended.
- Go to Settings
- Select Memberships & Connects
- Click Add More Connects
- Select an amount
- Enter your coupon or promo code
- Choose Apply
That's it! Enjoy your reward!
Use Connects to submit proposals on Upwork. Different jobs require different amounts of Connects, and there are some jobs where you won’t need to use Connects at all.
Note: When submitting proposals, your paid Connects will always be used first.
NO CONNECTS NEEDED...
- When a client invites you to bid.
- When a client sends you an offer.
- When a client purchases your Project Catalog project.
- When you send a proposal within an Enterprise Talent Cloud.
Sometimes, a project may get cancelled or a job may be removed from Upwork without a hire. In the following cases, these Connects will be returned:
- If a project is canceled by the client without making a hire, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned to the freelancer or agency. This does not apply to expired job posts.
- If a job post has been removed by Upwork for a Terms of Service violation, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned to the freelancer or agency.
In these cases, Connects are credited back to your account for reuse -- not for a refund of their cash value.
Withdrawing a proposal from a project will not return your Connects. Think carefully about a project before reaching out!
Connects Balance and Limits
To check your balance of available Connects, go to Find Work. Your available Connects balance is shown on the right.
Each month, your unused Connects will rollover up to the account maximum. Connects expire if they haven't been used after one year, and paid Connects will always be used before free Connects for any proposal.
|Plan||Monthly Connects||Maximum Connects||Monthly Rollover Limit|
A Note on Prorated Connects
If you choose to upgrade your account from Basic to Plus, your free Connects will be prorated. This means that we'll allocate them based on time, or specifically, on how many days have already passed during your billing cycle.
By prorating free Connects, we can be sure that you always get a fair amount, no matter when you make changes to your plan.
If you're on the Basic Plan, you'll receive 10 FREE Connects for a one-month billing cycle. If you choose to upgrade to a Plus Plan halfway through that one-month billing cycle, your Connects balance will change in two ways.
- We'll prorate your 10 FREE Connects from the old plan over the one-month (30 day) billing cycle. If it's halfway through the month, you'll receive 5 (half of the Connects) instead of 10.
- You'll receive 80 Connects from your new plan to add to the existing 5 Connects from the first partial billing cycle of your old plan, for a total of 85 Connects.
With every Plus plan renewal, you'll get 80 new Connects!
The Connects required to submit a proposal can be seen on the project details page. Required Connects is shown at the top-right under the Submit Proposal and Save buttons.
As a freelancer, the maximum balance of Connects you can have at any time is 200. For agencies, that maximum is 400. Freelancers can only rollover 200 Connects per billing cycle. Agencies can rollover as many as 400. We will notify you before your Connects are due to expire.
No, we are not awarding Connects in cases where you are invited to interview for a job post without submitting a proposal first.
The Connects reward for winning an interview go to the entity that submitted the proposal. If it was submitted under the agency, the reward goes to the agency. If it was submitted under an individual freelancer account, then the free Connects are awarded to the freelancer.
When you are awarded Connects they will be added to your account within 24 hours. We will send you an email and an Upwork notification once they are applied to your account.
You can rollover 200 Connects per billing cycle. Agencies can rollover as many as 400.
Connects expire one year from the date of issue. However, you can only rollover 200 Connects per billing cycle. Agencies can rollover as many as 400.