At Upwork, one of our key goals is to provide a robust marketplace for freelancers and clients to connect with each other and build strong, productive relationships. As a freelancer or agency, you'll use Connects to reach out and let clients know you're interested in their project.
Freelancing is your business, and like any business owner, you have to make investments to sell your products or services. When business is conducted in person, you might take a prospective client to lunch, spend money on a special presentation, or travel to the client’s business or home to discuss the work. With these steps, you are not only marketing your services, you are also showing potential clients that you are serious about your business and invested in building a working relationship with them. Connects are an investment toward your freelance career.
There are three ways to get Connects on Upwork.
Monthly FREE Connects
Each month, freelancers receive free Connects to help reach out to more clients.
Freelancer Basic accounts receive 10 free Connects each month, and Freelancer Plus accounts receive 70 Connects each month (including 10 FREE!). Learn more about Freelancer Plus accounts here.
Connects cost $0.15 (USD) each and are sold in bundles of 10, 20, 40, 60, and 80. Agencies can also purchase bundles of 150 or 300, if their balance allows. To purchase additional Connects:
Once you’ve selected the bundle you wish to purchase, click Add Connects and your account will automatically be charged.
You can earn Connects in several ways:
- Register for the first time. You’ll receive 40 Connects to get started. When you complete the Upwork Readiness Test, you’ll receive another 40 Connects — that's 80 FREE Connects!
- Win an interview. When you submit a proposal to a client and win an interview, you’ll get a bonus of 10 Connects. You can earn up to 50 Connects every seven days.
- Complete an Upwork Skill Certification. If you earn an Upwork Skill Certification, you’ll enjoy a one-time Connects bonus.
- Earn a badge. If you qualify for an Upwork Talent Badge, you may receive bonus Connects with it!
Redeem a Connects Reward
From time to time, we will offer free Connects as part of a limited promotion. You may receive one of these offers in an email, as part of a partnership, or from an event you've attended. In these cases, you’ll receive a promo code to redeem the Connects. To use a promo code:
- Go to Settings
- Select Memberships & Connects
- Click Add More Connects
- Select an amount
- Enter your coupon or promo code
- Choose Apply
That's it! Enjoy your reward!
Use Connects to submit proposals on Upwork. Different jobs require different amounts of Connects, and there are some jobs where you won’t need to use Connects at all.
Note: When submitting proposals, your paid Connects will always be used first.
NO CONNECTS ARE NEEDED...
- When a client invites you to bid.
- When a client sends you an offer.
- When a client purchases your Project Catalog project.
- When you send a proposal within an Enterprise Talent Cloud.
Connects are a valuable resource. Before using your Connects to submit a proposal, we recommend that you:
- Carefully review the job post to make sure it matches your skills and availability.
- Make sure you have enough time to submit a quality proposal.
- Check to see if the client has hired anyone yet — sometimes clients don’t close a job right away after hiring.
- Review the client’s history — do they usually hire right away and have previous freelancers enjoyed working with them?
- Consider the number of freelancers who have already submitted proposals and whether the client is interviewing others yet. While you can still submit to a project that already has many applicants or is in the interview stage, it may be more difficult to get the client’s attention.
To help you review and manage your monthly Connects use, we provide a report of your Connects transactions for the past 7, 30, and 90 days. To view your history, hover over the Reports tab on your home page and choose Connects History.
Sometimes, a project may get cancelled or a job may be removed from Upwork without a hire. In the following cases, these Connects will be returned:
- If a project is canceled by the client before a contract is made, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned. This does not apply to expired job posts.
- If we remove a project’s post because we believe it violates our Terms of Service, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned.
In these cases, Connects are credited back to your account for reuse -- not for a refund of their cash value.
PRO TIP: When you use your Connects, you are investing in the opportunity to promote your services to prospective clients. Your Connects are not returned if the client chooses another freelancer, lets the job expire without hiring, or if you withdraw your proposal from a project. Think carefully about a project before reaching out!
Connects Balance and Limits
To check your Connects balance, go to Find Work. Your balance is shown on the right.
Each month, your unused Connects will roll over. There is a maximum number of Connects that can be rolled over. Connects that you paid for will always be used first. Connects expire if they haven't been used after one year, and paid Connects will always be used before free Connects for any proposal.
|Plan||Monthly Connects||Maximum Connects||Monthly Rollover Limit|
A Note on Prorated Connects
If you choose to upgrade your account from Basic to Plus, your free Connects will be prorated. This means that we'll allocate them based on time, or specifically, on how many days have already passed during your billing cycle.
By prorating free Connects, we can be sure that you always get a fair amount, no matter when you make changes to your plan.
The Connects required to submit a proposal can be seen on the project details page. Required Connects is shown at the top-right under the Submit Proposal and Save buttons.
As a freelancer, the maximum balance of Connects you can have at any time is 200. For agencies, that maximum is 400. Freelancers can only rollover 200 Connects per billing cycle. Agencies can rollover as many as 400. We will notify you before your Connects are due to expire.
No, we are not awarding Connects in cases where you are invited to interview for a job post without submitting a proposal first.
The Connects reward for winning an interview go to the entity that submitted the proposal. If it was submitted under the agency, the reward goes to the agency. If it was submitted under an individual freelancer account, then the free Connects are awarded to the freelancer.
When you are awarded Connects they will be added to your account within 24 hours. We will send you an email and an Upwork notification once they are applied to your account.
You can rollover 200 Connects per billing cycle. Agencies can rollover as many as 400.
Connects expire one year from the date of issue. However, you can only rollover 200 Connects per billing cycle. Agencies can rollover as many as 400.
For freelancers, Connects are sold in bundles of 10, 20, 40, 60, or 80. Agencies have the option to buy those bundles, as well as bundles of 150 or 300 Connects. Neither freelancers nor agencies can buy a bundle if doing so will put their Connects balance over the maximum.