Upwork is the largest online talent solution connecting businesses and skilled professionals, with over 5 million clients using Upwork worldwide.
Getting started on Upwork is simple, posting a job is free, and it is often quicker to hire freelancers and agencies on Upwork compared to traditional staffing providers. The average time to fill a job post on Upwork is 2-3 days, compared to 4-6 weeks on job boards and staffing providers. The easiest way to get the job done is to break the process into three phases:
- Fill out your company name, tagline, description, and website URL (no email addresses, phone numbers, or chat IDs, please), then upload your company logo.
- Add and verify your payment method. (Important! You can't hire without this.)
- Post a job and choose between hourly or fixed-price. (Keep in mind that the Upwork Hourly Protection only covers hourly contracts.)
Tip: Discuss with colleagues that have worked with freelancers to get ideas for what projects may be a good fit for freelancers and agencies.
- Evaluate your proposals and shortlist those you like.
- You can also search for qualified freelancers and invite them to submit proposals.
- Message your best options. You may want to consider performing a round of email interviews to help you narrow down your proposals even further. After your email interview, you can perform a phone, chat, or video interview.
Tip: Consider hiring for a test drive (a small, paid, trial contract) to asses the freelancer or agency and get more familiar with Upwork.
- Have a kick-off meeting to establish ground rules on communication, expectations, availability, submitting deliverables, reviewing progress, and anything else you can think of. Introduce your new freelancer or agency to the rest of your online work team and make sure they have contact information for everyone they'll work with.
- Communicate with your freelancer or agency regularly.
- Review work in progress regularly using the Work Diary, project deliverables, and progress reports.
- Manage your project using Reports.
- Ensure that billing and payments occur on time according to your contract. Upwork automatically invoices for hourly jobs, but you must manage payments on fixed-price jobs yourself.