When your earnings from your clients become available depends on the type of payment:
- Your earnings for hours and set weekly payments – Based on the weekly billing cycle
- Your earnings for fixed-price milestone – After the client approves the milestone and the five-day security period has passed
- Your earnings for bonuses or other manual payments – After your client's payment has been successfully processed and the five-day security period has passed
In order to access your earnings, you'll need to add a payment method and set your tax status. Once that is complete, your available balance will then be disbursed to you automatically according to your chosen payment schedule. You can also withdraw your funds yourself at any time.
Withdraw Your Earnings
Your earnings will be withdrawn automatically according to your chosen payment schedule. However, you may request to withdraw your available earnings immediately. To do so:
- Go to the Accounts menu > Settings > Get Paid
- Click the Get Paid Now button at the top
- Choose the amount to withdraw and click the Get Paid Now button
Select How You Get Paid
Upwork gives you the choice when it comes to how you withdraw your funds. We offer the following payment methods direct to your bank account:
- Direct to U.S. Bank (ACH) – Free
- Direct to Local Bank – $0.99 per transfer
- U.S. Dollar Wire Transfer – $30 per transfer
We also offer the following third-party payment vendors:
Please note that availability of payment methods varies by country and there may be incoming fees at some banks. Consider comparing costs and access options in your country before selecting a method. Click the "Add Payment Method" button to see all your options and pricing.
Why can't I access my earnings?
Pending payment or no available balance
Your earnings will show as Pending on your Reports > Transaction History while the client's incoming payment is processed and during the security period. You will also see a future date posted in the Date column. That is the date that you can access your earnings. You'll need to wait for your funds to become available to make a withdrawal.
New payment method
For security reasons, after you add a new payment method, you must wait three days to use it.
No tax information on file
All freelancers must enter their tax status. Click here to provide this information.
Suspended financial account
If your account is temporarily limited, your ability to withdraw may be turned off until the issue is resolved.
Why did my payment transfer fail?
Click here for additional troubleshooting tips for failed or returned transfers.