Bank account authorization
To set up payment to your bank account, you must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on that account, or demonstrate you are authorized by the business to do so.
What to do if the names don’t match:
Contact Customer Support by clicking here to request a manual name review. In some cases, name discrepancies can be resolved by us. Those scenarios are:
- You are using a common name variation – We’ll approve recognized name variations, like Robert/Bob or J.J./John Jacob, within 48 hours. If you use an unrecognized name variation or nickname, we’ll require that you verify your identity. You’ll then need to edit your Upwork profile to match your legal name.
- You are using a company bank account – To complete verification you will need to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:
- An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name.
- A business license showing your name and the company name.
- Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner.
- You are a transgender individual – Upwork will make exceptions for transgender individuals who are in the process of transitioning but have not been able to obtain a name change due to legal or other barriers. Documentation may be required.