The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.
To provide Upwork with your Form W-8BEN information
- Go Settings › Tax Information
- Provide us with your legal name and address
If you complete the W-8BEN certification, Upwork does not
- Withhold any taxes from your earnings
- Use the Form W-8BEN to report your income to anyone
- Ask for any taxpayer identification numbers on Form W-8BEN
- Require you to fill out a paper form
- Determine, or in any way affect, whether you owe taxes in your own country
If you cannot complete the certification on the W-8BEN, contact Customer Support by clicking here.