How do I file a Form W-9 with Upwork?

Professional Development Series: Getting "Tax Wise" - A free webinar for U.S. freelancers

It’s that time of year again, Tax Season! Are you wondering what's changed with Tax Reform in 2018? Do you have questions about how taxes work for Freelancers? Interested in learnings of possible deductions and cost savings?

If so, you won’t want to miss this upcoming webinar, Getting Tax-Wise, hosted by Miguel Centeno, of Shared Economy Tax and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).

In this session, Miguel will be sharing information on how taxes work for US freelancers and identify some potential tax deductions that will help keep extra money in your pocket. He will also help you get a headstart on next year’s taxes by giving an overview of 2018 tax changes.

This webinar takes place on Tuesday, February 20th from 10:00am-11:00am (PST). Register today!

All freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork (all others should file a Form W-8BEN). You sign electronically by submitting the form.

To provide Upwork with your Form W-9:

  1. Go to the Accounts menu > Settings > Click “Tax Information
  2. Provide us with your:
    • Legal Name – Your own name, or your business name if you're filing as a company entity
    • Address – Where Upwork will mail your Form 1099-K or other tax forms, if necessary
    • Filing Status – Type of IRS tax filing you will use for earnings
    • Taxpayer Identification Number – TIN type and # you will use for your IRS tax filing

The directions are the same as filling out the paper Form W-9 form from the IRS. Please contact your local accountant or tax advisor if you have questions about your filing status or TIN.

To edit your tax information:

  1. Go to the Accounts menu > Settings > Click “Tax Information
  2. Edit your tax information and save

Have more questions? Submit a request


Upwork Status

Incident Status

Our records show your Upwork account is not active.

This might be due to no account activity (earnings, payments, contracts, etc.) or because we had to suspend it. When we suspend an account we send an email explaining the reason and whether or not you can take steps to reverse the suspension. Please review that email for more details.

For general questions, you can visit our Community or review our Terms of Service.

We’ll start a video chat with you. Please make sure you use a desktop device with a camera to continue the process. Also, allow Upwork temporary use of your camera and microphone. You may disable this access after the chat session.

If all of our agents are busy when you attempt to chat, please hold, and one of our agents will be with you shortly.

We noticed that you're currently using a browser that is not supported by our video verify process.

We recommend that you switch to Google Chrome or Firefox in order to successfully complete verification. Thank you

Upwork’s Category Specialists are standing by to help you discover and plan new projects.

Ask them about roles or projects that you want to learn more about. They can also draft job posts for you.

Your chat will begin in the bottom right corner of this page.

Upwork’s Category Specialists are currently offline.

Send us a message below and we’ll respond via email as soon as we can. You can also come back here during business hours (Mon-Fri, 6am-5pm PT) to chat with us.

How can we help?
Thanks for your message! A Category Specialist will respond to your message via email as soon as they can.
Thanks for your message! Your request to change your profile back to "public" has been successfully submitted.