First, go to the Downloads page to download the latest version for Windows, Mac, or Linux. Then:
On Windows: (see video below)
- Run UpworkSetup.exe and follow the on-screen instructions.
On Mac: (see video below)
- Open UpworkTeam.dmg and drag the Upwork desktop app to your applications folder.
- If you see an “unidentified developer” error, follow these directions.
On Linux: (see video below)
- Click here for distribution-specific instructions.
For best results when you install the Upwork desktop app:
- Uninstall older versions of the desktop app from your machine.
- Log in as the administrator of your computer.
- Download when your Internet connection is strong and stable.
- Download using a supported and fully-updated browser.
- Make sure the time/date settings on your computer are correct.
- Temporarily disable your antivirus software until the application is fully installed.
- Close any unnecessary programs.
Having a problem with the app? Click here for troubleshooting tips.
Apple introduced a new app security option called Gatekeeper that blocks our ability to install or perform upgrades. Because the Upwork desktop app is not currently an Apple-certified app, you need to disable this setting. To learn more about Gatekeeper, read this article from Apple Support.
To fix this problem:
- Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General
- Select “Allow applications downloaded from anywhere”
Once you change this setting, you will no longer see the "unidentified developer" warning. However, you will still be prompted to give permission to open an unknown application when you download and open the desktop app the first time.