For your convenience, Upwork will default to charging credit and debit cards in local currency for clients with billing addresses in the following countries.
- Australia (AUD)
- Canada (CAD)
- Great Britain (GBP) or (EUR)
- Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (EUR)
Please note that all prices, rates, and transactions you see in proposals, contracts, reports, etc. are always in U.S. Dollars. And the freelancer will receive U.S. Dollars as payment in their Upwork account. Only the billing to your card* will be converted to your local currency. You may opt out if you prefer to pay in U.S. Dollars.
* Note: Local currency billing requires a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express. Discover can only be billed in USD.
To change your preferred currency for credit or debit card billing
- Go to Settings > Billing Methods
- Click Edit next to the payment method.
- Select your preferred currency for payment and click Save Changes.
Only credit or debit cards qualify for local currency billing.
To view local currency and USD charge
- Go to the Reports > Transactions
- Choose the Ref ID number for the charge you want to view
- The first amount listed is in USD and the second amount listed is in your local currency
- Click View Invoice to see the amount (in USD) sent to your freelancer and the amount (in your local currency) charged to your card