For your convenience, Upwork will default to charging credit and debit cards in local currency for clients with billing addresses in:
- Australia (AUD)
- Canada (CAD)
- Great Britain (GBP) or (EUR)
- Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (EUR)
Please note that all prices, rates, and transactions you see in proposals, contracts, reports, etc. are always in U.S. Dollars. And the freelancer will receive U.S. Dollars as payment in their Upwork account. Only the billing to your card* will be converted to your local currency. You may opt out if you prefer to pay in U.S. Dollars.
* Note: Local currency billing requires a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express. Discover can only be billed in USD.
To change your preferred currency for credit or debit card billing:
- Go to the Settings icon and click Billing Methods.
- Click Edit next to the payment method.
- Select your preferred currency for payment and click Save Changes.
Only credit or debit cards qualify for local currency billing.
To view local currency and USD charge:
- Go to the Reports > Transactions
- Choose the Ref ID number for the charge you want to view
- The first amount listed is in USD and the second amount listed is in your local currency
- Click View Invoice to see the amount (in USD) sent to your freelancer and the amount (in your local currency) charged to your card
Flat processing fee option
Do you have more than $910 in payments each month? If so, you can save on fees by using your local currency card as your primary billing method and opting into a flat $25 monthly payment processing fee instead of the standard 2.75%.
To opt in:
- Go to the Accounts menu, choose Settings, and click Billing Methods.
- Under the Payment Processing Fee section, click “View or edit”
- Select the flat monthly fee option.
- Review and confirm your selection.
Once enrolled, if for any reason a payment is made with a different billing method, the standard 2.75% processing fee will apply.