For your convenience, Upwork will default to charging credit and debit cards in local currency for clients with billing addresses in:
- Australia (AUD)
- Canada (CAD)
- Great Britain (GBP) or (EUR)
- Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (EUR)
You may opt out if you prefer to pay in U.S. Dollars. Please note that all prices, rates, and transactions you see in proposals, contracts, reports, etc. are always in U.S. Dollars. Only the billing to your card* will be converted to your local currency.
* Note: Local currency billing requires a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express. Discover can only be billed in USD.
To change your preferred currency for credit or debit card billing:
- Go to the Settings icon and click Billing Methods.
- Click Edit next to the payment method.
- Select your preferred currency for payment and click Save Changes.
Only credit or debit cards qualify for local currency billing.
Alternative flat processing fee option
Do you have more than $910 in payments each month? If so, you can save on fees by using your local currency card as your primary billing method and opting into a flat $25 monthly payment processing fee instead of the standard 2.75%.
To opt in:
- Go to the Accounts menu, choose Settings, and click Billing Methods.
- Under the Payment Processing Fee section, click “View or edit”
- Select the flat monthly fee option.
- Review and confirm your selection.
Once enrolled, if for any reason a payment is made with a different billing method, the standard 2.75% processing fee will apply.