To help make payments convenient for you, we accept Visa, Discover, Diners Club, Diners Club International, Mastercard, and American Express. We also accept prepaid cards.
Add a credit card
- Go to Settings › Billing Methods
- Choose the Add Method button
- Enter your Credit or Debit card details and choose Continue
Enter your billing address details and choose Save
Using a Visa Card for International Transactions
To give you options, we accept Visa credit cards for both U.S. and international accounts. However, these two types of charges may display differently in your bill.
All U.S. clients who are paying U.S. freelancers with a Visa card will see the payment appear on your statement as usual. If you are a U.S. client who is also paying an international freelancer (outside of the U.S.), your payment will process separately. You'll see both payments listed on your bill, instead of one.
Prepaid Card Transaction Amount Limits
With the implementation of the fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive (AMLD5) into European Union national legislation, the allowed transaction amounts of anonymous prepaid cards (those in which the identity of the user has not been verified) have been lowered to:
- €50 EUR if you are making an online purchase (such as on Upwork)
As a result, we cannot accept payments made with anonymous prepaid cards that exceed €50 EUR, and any attempts to process them will result in a failed transaction.
We understand that having your card declined is frustrating. Here are some common reasons why your card may have been declined:
- You entered a card Upwork does not accept, such as a JCB or Union card.
- You entered your name or card numbers incorrectly and they do not match your card.
- You entered other details (such as address, postal code) that does not match the information your credit card company has on file. Please contact them to confirm your information.
- You entered the wrong security code/CVV. (See images below for help.)
If the above aren't the issue, please contact the card issuer to determine the reason they sent a failure code to Upwork.