Freelancers usually wait for the client to end the contract. This makes final payment on a fixed-price job easier and ensures that the client leaves feedback for you. However, you can end a contract if you wish to do so.
To end a contract:
- Click the My Jobs tab.
- Find the one you want to end and click the Job Details link.
- Click End contract.
Once you end a contract:
- The system locks your Work Diary for that contract immediately and you cannot access it to log hours or make changes.
- Your client will be billed for hours and may dispute them according to the usual weekly billing cycle.
- Both you and your client can leave feedback. It is a double-blind system. The other user cannot see the feedback you left them until after they have left feedback for you.
- Clients can make additional fixed-price or bonus payments on ended contracts.
- Freelancers can still give a refund on the ended contract for payments made within the last 180 days.
Please speak with your client before you end a contract. All Upwork users have the freedom to end a contract any time, but please talk to your client first because it is always best if everyone is aware of what’s going on and in agreement about it.