When necessary, you can add manual hours to your Work Diary. Manual time is often used for billing for work done offline or that might not be recorded properly by the app—phone calls, non-electronic research, paper-based sketching, large file transfers, graphics rendering, etc.
Your client can enable or disable manual time on your contract, talk to them if you want to add manual time and the feature is not enabled. Once enabled, you can add manual time from the Upwork desktop app or directly in your Work Diary.
Manual time does not qualify for Hourly Payment Protection
To add manual time from the app
- Open the Upwork desktop app and select the contract
- Click the Add manual time option
- Select the date and times, add a description of the work, and click Save
To add manual time from your Work Diary
- Go to My Jobs › Work Diary and select the contract from the dropdown menu
- Select the day you want to add hours to and click Add Manual Time
- Select the time period, add a description of the work, and click Save
Manual time can be added to the current billing period before the Work Diary is locked, and only for intervals that you have not already logged time in.
The default time settings for the desktop app and Work Diary is UTC. To log hours in your own time zone you may need to switch to your own time zone by selecting Mine from the dropdown timezone menu in your Work Diary.