If you would like to refund time on an active contract for the current week, you can remove the time from your Work Diary and your client will not be billed for the removed hours.
Note: You can only delete time in the current week’s Work Diary. The previous week’s Work Diary is no longer editable after Monday at noon UTC.
To delete time you don’t want to bill to your client
- Go to the My Jobs › Work Diary and select the contract
- Find the block of time you want to delete and click the checkbox below it
- Click the Delete button
If you would like to refund a payment from a previous billing period or on a closed contract, you have the ability to issue a refund for 180 days after the payment is received. Once you issue a refund, you can't reverse it, and your account will reflect the refund immediately.
Note: Your client must have been billed before you can issue a refund.
To issue a refund
- Go to My Jobs › All Contracts and click the contract title. If the contract has ended, select the Include closed contracts checkbox at the top of the page
- Click the Give a refund button from the (...) options menu
- Choose Select Invoices
- Choose the amount to be refunded and click Give Refund
You may only refund an amount that is less than or equal to the lowest of the following
- Net total transactions on the contract in the last 180 days
- Available balance in your Upwork account, including pending transactions and submitted milestones
Once you submit a refund
- Upwork creates a credit on your client's account and a debit on your account for the balance of the refund
- The credit becomes available on the client's account right away
- The refunded amount (including refunded fees) is deducted from your lifetime earnings with the client for determining your relationship’s service fee
To check any refunds that you have given
- Click the Reports tab, and then click Transaction History