You may be asked to upload a government-issued ID to confirm your identity on Upwork. In most cases, we’ll be able to verify your identity within minutes. In other cases, we may need more information from you, or ask you to briefly video chat with an Upwork agent. We aim to respond to all inquiries within one business day.
You will need to take a picture of your government-issued ID in order to verify your identity. The acceptable forms of ID vary by country and will be listed on the form. Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way.
Tips for taking a photo of your government ID
- Take a photo of the front of your ID, without flash
- Capture the image from above, with your ID on a flat surface
- Ensure all four corners of your ID are showing
- Take the photo in color (at least 200 dpi)
- Upload your photo in PNG, JPEG, PDF, or BMP format
- Do not crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way
- Leave margins on all sides of the ID
Your government ID should
- Be same person as your Upwork profile photo
- Match your Upwork profile address
- Match your Upwork profile name