This article is about the verification form accessed through Find Work or Settings > Identity Verification that asks you to upload a single document: your government-issued ID.
Verification form asking for two documents instead of one? Read about that process and its requirements.
Identity (ID) Verification Process
We routinely ask freelancers and clients to verify their identities to help keep Upwork safe. You’ll be asked to upload a government-issued ID to confirm your identity. Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way. In most cases, we’ll be able to verify your identity within minutes. However, in others, we might need more information from you, or ask you to meet with us for a brief video call. Regardless, our team members are here to help you and will get back to you with any questions or requests within one business day.
You will need to take a picture of your government-issued ID in order to verify your identity. Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or edit the images in any way. Acceptable forms of ID vary by country and will be listed on the form. Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way.
Requirements for ID image
- The front of your ID.
- Showing all four corners of your ID.
- In color and at least 200 dpi.
- A PNG, JPEG, PDF, or BMP file.
- Do not edit the image in any way.
Tips for taking a photo of your ID
- Take the photo from above, with the ID lying on a flat surface.
- Don’t use a flash.
- Don’t cover up any part of the ID.
- Leave margins on all sides of the image prior to capture.
Your Upwork profile must match your verification information
- Upwork profile picture and ID picture must both be of you (they don’t need to be the same photo)
- Upwork profile address must match your address, if any, on your ID
- Upwork profile name must match your ID