You may be asked to upload a government-issued ID to confirm your identity on Upwork. In most cases, we’ll be able to verify your identity within minutes. In other cases, we may need more information from you, or ask you to briefly video chat with an Upwork agent. We aim to respond to all inquiries within one business day.
You will need to take a picture of your government-issued ID in order to verify your identity. The acceptable forms of ID vary by country and will be listed on the form.
- This ID must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address, with the exception of passports, which don't need your address
- Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria
Note that we cannot accept
- Student IDs, employee IDs, library cards, handwritten IDs, temporary IDs, photocopied IDs, military IDs, and health cards
Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way.
Your government ID should
- Be the same person as your Upwork profile photo
- Match your Upwork profile address
- Match your Upwork profile name
Tips for taking a photo of your government ID
- Take a photo of the front of your ID, without flash
- Capture the image from above, with your ID on a flat surface
- Ensure all four corners of your ID are showing
- Take the photo in color (at least 200 dpi)
- Upload your photo in PNG, JPEG, PDF, or BMP format
We encourage all Upwork users to comply with applicable laws. In fact, we require you to comply with applicable laws in our Terms of Service. We don't have knowledge of the laws referenced here that make it illegal to provide identification to someone other than law enforcement. If there is a specific law that you’d like to direct us to, we’re happy to look into it.
Thanks for reaching out. Any resident of the European Union can request that we delete their information under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Once you request this, Upwork has 30 days to respond to your request. To learn how to make GDPR request to Upwork, click here.