To verify your freelancer profile, Upwork may ask you to have a video call via Google Meet. An Upwork representative will ask you a few questions to confirm the information in your profile. You may also be requested to show proof of identity, such as a government-issued ID, during the call.
Remove account hold
Until your video verification call is completed, a temporary hold may be placed on your account.
While your account is on hold you will not be able to submit new proposals or change your profile photo. However, we will resume your account upon successful verification.
Video verification tools
You’ll need these tools to complete video verification.
- A computer or mobile device with a working camera and microphone
- The latest available version of Apple macOS, Microsoft Windows, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, or other Debian-based Linux Operating System
- The latest available version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari
- A stable, high-speed connection that is capable of supporting a video
- The Google Meet app
To use Microsoft Internet Explorer 11, you will need to install a plugin for Google Meet. Download and install the latest version of the Google Video Support plugin.
Note: Video verification is only supported on the current version and the two previous major releases of the browsers and operating systems listed above.
Complete video verification
Once you have the necessary tools, you can begin your call at any time. It typically lasts less than 10 minutes.
- Sign online, and log into Upwork
- Allow Google Meet to use your camera and microphone
- Visit the Identity Verification section in your Upwork Settings
- Click the link to start a call
Tips and troubleshooting
If you’ve never used Google Meet before, these tips may help.
- Google Meet has a mobile app for your smartphone. Download it on the Play Store (Android) or App Store (Apple)
- Confirm that you have a stable, high-speed internet connection that is capable of handling video
- Be sure to allow Google Meet to use your camera and microphone before you start the call
- In a web browser, go to the Meet homepage
- Click Start a new meeting
- Click Allow
If you aren’t asked to allow camera and microphone access, or if your access is blocked, you can change your settings. After choosing to start a new meeting:
- At the top right, click Camera blocked
- Click Always allow https://plus.google.com to access your camera and microphone
- Click Done
If the video call does not automatically connect and you don’t see the meeting reload, exit and re-enter the call.
You can verify your identity anytime. Our team is available 24/7 to assist.
Our team will need to communicate with you in English. However, the call is meant to verify your identity, not to test your English fluency.