Two-step verification (also known as two-factor authentication) adds an extra layer of security that helps protect your account at login. The two steps are (1) your password and (2) a six-digit code sent to your contact method (phone or email). This makes it hard for anyone who isn’t you to gain access to your account.
To enable phone verification
- Go to Settings › Password & Security.
- Choose Enable next to Phone Verification
- Enter your country code and phone number. We’ll text you a verification code
- Enter the six-digit code and Submit to verify and enable two-step phone verification
To disable phone verification
- Go to Settings › Password & Security
- Choose Edit next to Phone Verification
- Choose Delete next to your Security Phone Number
- Confirm to delete and disable two-step phone verification
Security question vs. phone verification
Both are types of two-step verification and both help you keep your Upwork account safe. We ask you for your security question or for a verification code at different stages throughout the Upwork experience. Your security question is generally used to access specific parts of your account and phone verification is generally used at login, but either could be required when our security systems detect a login attempt or other operation that appears high-risk. To help protect your account, we recommend setting up both.
You can opt for emailed verification codes when you don’t have your phone handy or can’t receive the code right now. This code will be sent to the email address we have on file for your account. This way there’s still two steps of security (password and code). Since only you have access to your phone or email account, only you will be able to get the security code either way.