The Upwork Basic plan offers the essentials needed to get started. It is a free plan designed for small companies who may only have a need for single users. It’s a great way to start your Upwork experience if you have a single project or are unsure about how frequently you plan to hire.
On Upwork Basic, you can take advantage of full access to all Upwork freelancers and agencies.
Discover quality talent
- Post jobs for free
- Browse all freelancers and agencies on Upwork
- Invite freelancers and agencies to apply
- Review proposals, interview, and engage freelancers and agencies
Work seamlessly across projects
- Use Upwork Messages to chat and share files
- Access tools to verify work is properly invoiced
Send safe, easy payments
- Invoice and send secure payments backed by Upwork Payment Protection
You can change your membership plan by going to Settings › Membership. Paid plans are charged on a monthly basis and you can cancel your subscription at any time. The cancellation will be effective at the end of the billing period and your account will automatically be changed to Upwork Basic when your billing period ends.
There are two types of contract on Upwork, hourly and fixed-price. With hourly contracts, you can check your freelancer’s Work Diary to confirm you are only being billed for the time they are working on your project. For fixed-price contracts, freelancers have to submit work for your approval before funds are released. All payments are backed by Upwork Payment Protection.
While the Work Diary no longer appears in your Reports tab, you still have access to view it, and all contract details, on a contract by contract basis in the Contract Room. You can access the Contract Room from two places:
- Jobs › My Jobs › My Contracts for active contracts
- Jobs › All Contracts for all active and closed contracts
The Weekly Summary report is now only available for Upwork Plus customers. Upwork Basic customers will still be able to see their weekly transactions through the Weekly Summary email. For more information, please visit this article.
As part of the Upwork Basic plan, you have access to several reports:
- Transactions. This gives you a detailed view of all your Upwork transactions.
- Work Diaries. Visit the Contract Room for any project to see a freelancer’s Work Diary.
- Weekly Summary Email. Account admins will get this weekly email report, which includes details such as the hours logged by your freelancer(s).
Based on data about how clients use reports, we expect that the tools above will give the majority of clients the information they need to manage their projects. However, in cases where clients need more information, we are offering the paid Client Plus plan.