From time to time, we evaluate and update the specialties and skills listed on Upwork to reflect the current trends and talents that freelancers offer. These updates improve our site’s search and matching capabilities, so it’s important that they’re kept up-to-date.
Often, these updates involve simple renaming, merging, and corrections to streamline the user experience. You may not even notice them! However, they improve our metadata and result in clearer information, improved organization, and more accurate listings in our marketplace and your job searches.
- If you are a client, specialties and skills help categorize your job posts and match your project with the talent you need
- If you are a freelancer, specialties and skills help you market your talents and create specialized profiles that accurately reflect your expertise
In this particular update, we’ve added brand new subcategories in the Engineering & Architecture and Writing Categories, including Physical Sciences and Content & Copywriting. We’ve also made additional improvements; find them in the list below.
We have automatically updated related categories, job filters and feeds, existing profiles, and job posts with any applicable changes.
Pro tip: Top freelancers tell us they frequently check the skills listed on their profile to make sure they are accurate and current. They also review their job search filters to keep opportunities up-to-date.
- Engineering & Architecture was split into Other Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Energy Engineering and STEM Tutoring Specialties were moved under Other Engineering
- Physics, Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry Specialties were moved under Physical Sciences
- Added Content & Copywriting subcategory
- Article & Blog Writing subcategory was merged with Content & Copywriting
- Academic Writing & Research subcategory was merged with Content & Copywriting
- Copywriting subcategory was merged with Content & Copywriting
- Copywriting and Content Writing specialties were moved under Content & Copywriting
- Personal/Virtual Assistant subcategory was renamed to Personal/Virtual Assistance
- Removed Compliance Frameworks from Information Security