In this article:


Countries and jurisdictions where you live or do business may charge taxes that apply to your income or purchases on Upwork, including tax on:

  • Income you make as a freelancer (income tax)
  • Services you purchase from Upwork, such as Connects, for example

Taxes on services may be called sales tax, value-added tax (VAT), goods and services tax (GST), digital services tax (DST), sales and services tax (SST), indirect tax, consumption tax, or other names in your country. The amount, who pays, and which purchases are taxed also vary.

We’re required to comply with the tax laws of the countries where we do business, including collecting taxes and remitting them — which means to send the money we collect from you to the tax authority of the government that requires the tax.

Some governments require us to ask you for tax-related information, such as a tax ID number, even when we are not collecting tax from you, and you may need information or forms from us, too. For example, since we’re based in the United States and subject to requirements from the IRS, we require that you complete either a W-9 or a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E form so we can comply with any reporting requirements.

You may be liable for taxes in your country even when we are not required to collect them on Upwork, so it’s important that you stay informed about your local tax laws and requirements. Consult with your local tax authority or tax advisor about any questions you have.

Tax articles by country

Choose your country from the drop-down list below to learn more about how taxes may impact you on Upwork.


These articles are meant for general information only and not to be considered tax advice. They may not be updated in real time and may not reflect recent changes. We strongly encourage you to consult your country’s tax authority or your tax advisor with questions related to your specific situation.

All countries — required forms for freelancers

Since Upwork is based in the United States, all freelancers on Upwork need to complete one of the following forms to comply with U.S. tax laws:

Form W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E (for non-U.S. freelancers)

Form W-9 (for U.S. freelancers)

South Africa

Was this article helpful?

458 out of 758 found this helpful