When you submit a proposal for a job the Upwork system lets you know if the client has an unverified billing method. You don’t have to avoid these clients, but you should know that you cannot get paid until the client successfully completes billing method verification. It is up to you to decide if beginning work before that is done is worth the risk. Please note that even if you have an hourly contract, you are not yet covered under the Upwork Hourly Protection when the client doesn’t have a verified payment method.
You may sometimes see a client with an unverified billing method and active contracts. This can happen when the client hires during the verification process or there’s an issue with their existing billing method, such as it has expired.
To check the verification status of your client's billing method
- Click the My Jobs tab
- Find the contract in the list, and then click View contract
- Click the View job posting link, next to the Contract ID number. Note: Agency members won’t see this link; only the agency manager will
- Check the verification status in the About the Client panel by pointing your mouse over the question mark icon
If the contract is paused
- Stop working (or if it’s a new contract don’t start working) and do not submit your work product until your contract is resumed
- Contact your client to find out when they will verify their billing method