Uploading your photo and adding your title, overview, education, employment history, and at least one skill will get you to 60% profile completion. These are the required sections of your profile. If you’re missing any of these five areas, you can be at most 60% complete. It is also required to publicly show one linked account or skills test to get the remaining 10% profile completion.
After that, you have options to build a complete profile. You can choose to add any combination of the following:
- Linked Account +10% (max 10%)
- Additional Employment History +10% (max 30%)
- Certification +5% (max 10%)
- Portfolio item +5% (max 10%)
- Other Experience +5% (max 5%)
- Take Skill Test +10% (max 30%)
Check out this post in the Hiring Headquarters to get tips on enhancing your profile.
What happens if I don’t upload a photo? Can I still get to 100%?
No. Without a profile portrait photo, you can never exceed 50% complete.
Can I use any combination to get to 100%?
Yes, as long as you complete the required sections to reach 60% and have either a linked account or passed a skills test, you can use any combination of the other choices to reach 100%.
- Pass three skills tests (30%), add 2 portfolio items (10%), and enter your education (10%)
- List three past employment, volunteer, or freelance projects or positions under Employment History (30%), upload one portfolio item (5%), verify two certifications (10%), and enter your other experience (5%)
What level of profile completion is needed to qualify for Top Rated?
Normally, Top Rated status requires a 100% complete profile. There’s an exception for Elance users who have moved their profiles to Upwork. Their skills tests taken on Elance aren’t carried over to Upwork. Since that would have been worth up to 10%, we currently allow them to become Top Rated at 90%.