Create a 100% Complete Freelancer Profile

Uploading your photo and adding your title, overview, education, employment history, and at least one skill will get you to 60% profile completion. These are the required sections of your profile. If you’re missing any of these five areas, you can be at most 60% complete. It is also required to publicly show one linked account or skills test to get the remaining 10% profile completion.

After that, you have options to build a complete profile. You can choose to add any combination of the following:

  • Linked Account +10% (max 10%)
  • Take Skill Test +10% (max 30%)
  • Additional Employment History +10% (max 30%)
  • Certification +5% (max 10%)
  • Portfolio item +5% (max 10%)
  • Other Experience +5% (max 5%)

Check out this post in the Hiring Headquarters to get tips on enhancing your profile.

FAQ

What happens if I don’t upload a photo? Can I still get to 100%?

No. Without a profile portrait photo, you can never exceed 50% complete.

Can I use any combination to get to 100%?

Yes, as long as you complete the required sections to reach 60% you can use any combination of the choices to reach the remaining 40% profile completion (skills test is required for 10%).

Examples:

  • Pass three skills tests (30%), add 2 portfolio items (10%), and enter your education (10%)
  • List three past employment, volunteer, or freelance projects or positions under Employment History (30%), upload one portfolio item (5%), verify two certifications (10%), and enter your other experience (5%)

What level of profile completion is needed to qualify for Top Rated?

Normally, Top Rated status requires a 100% complete profile. There’s an exception for Elance users who have moved their profiles to Upwork. Their skills tests taken on Elance aren’t carried over to Upwork. Since that would have been worth up to 10%, we currently allow them to become Top Rated at 90%.


Have more questions? Submit a request

Comments

Choose your user type
Please select...
  • Freelancer
  • Client
  • Agency
Select your issue category and subcategory
Please select...
Frequently Asked Questions
Provide more details:
Provide more details:
  • Discuss with Upwork Community
Provide more details:
The contract you have issues with:
Your Client/Freelancer’s name:
Attachment (for example, screenshots):
Add Files

    Your request has been submitted

    Your ticket number is XXXXXXXXX
    We will email you as soon as we can.

    Our apologies. Something went wrong.

    Your ticket was not submitted.
    For immediate help, please check out the options to the right.
    • Chat with Customer Service
    • Discuss with Upwork Community

    We’ll start a video chat with you. Please make sure you use a desktop device with a camera to continue the process. Also, allow Upwork temporary use of your camera and microphone. You may disable this access after the chat session.

    If all of our agents are busy when you attempt to chat, please hold, and one of our agents will be with you shortly.

    We noticed that you're currently using a browser that is not supported by our video verify process.

    We recommend that you switch to Google Chrome or Firefox in order to successfully complete verification. Thank you

    Upwork’s Category Specialists are standing by to help you discover and plan new projects.

    Ask them about roles or projects that you want to learn more about. They can also draft job posts for you.

    Your chat will begin in the bottom right corner of this page.

    Upwork’s Category Specialists are currently offline.

    Send us a message below and we’ll respond via email as soon as we can. You can also come back here during business hours (Mon-Fri, 6am-5pm PT) to chat with us.

    How can we help?
    Thanks for your message! A Category Specialist will respond to your message via email as soon as they can.
    Powered by Zendesk