Upwork currently accepts Visa, Discover, Diners Club, Diners Club International, Mastercard, and American Express. Prepaid cards are also accepted.
Add a credit card
- Go to Settings › Billing Methods
- Click the Add Method button
- Enter your Credit or Debit card details and click Continue
- Enter your billing address details and click Save
In some cases, you may need to verify your credit card by confirming two small charges totaling $10.00 (USD). Upwork submits the two charges to your credit card and you can verify the amounts from your statement or by contacting your card issuer, such as your bank or credit card company. It can take up to five days for the two charges to show up on your statement.
If your credit card statement is presented in a currency different from U.S. Dollars, the U.S. Dollar amounts will appear in the debit reference on your statement. Enter the USD amounts (not your local currency amounts) to verify your card.
Note: If you are required to complete credit card verification, you must verify your card within seven days. Any contracts in progress will be paused until you complete verification or you add a different primary billing method to your account. If you fail to complete verification and have already used the card to deposit funds in escrow please contact support by clicking here.
- Go to Settings › Billing Methods
- Click the Verify Now link
- Enter the two amounts totaling $10.00 (USD)
Upwork may also put a temporary a $1.00 USD authorization hold charge on your credit card to confirm the card number is valid. This charge is separate from the 2 small charges used for credit card verification.
Using a Visa Card for International Transactions
Upwork accepts Visa credit cards for both US and international accounts. However, it may display differently in your bill.
All U.S. clients who are paying U.S. freelancers with a Visa card will show the payment as usual. If you are a U.S. client who is also paying an international freelancer (outside of the US), your payment will process separately. You'll see both payments listed on your bill, instead of one.
- The $10.00 (USD) verification charge will remain as pending while the card is being verified
- The charges will be refunded to your credit card as soon as it is verified or after the 7th day from the date the card was added if verification is not completed, unless you have an outstanding balance on Upwork
- If you have an outstanding balance on Upwork, the verification charges will be applied to that pending balance automatically
Entering the wrong amounts three times will place your card in a verification failed state until you complete verification with the support team. You can contact support by clicking here.
If you are required to complete credit card verification, you must verify your card within seven days. Any contracts in progress will be paused until you complete verification or you add a different primary billing method to your account.
Common reasons your card may have been declined include the following. Please contact your bank to resolve these issues.
- You may have entered a card Upwork does not accept, such as a JCB or Union card
- If the above is not the case, contact the card issuer to determine the reason they sent a failure code to Upwork
- Some banks flag the two small verification charges as potentially fraudulent and block them — Once you or your bank resolves the issue, you can return to Upwork and complete verification
- You may have entered the wrong security code/CVV.