Upwork currently accepts Visa, Discover, Diners Club, Diners Club International, Mastercard, and American Express. Prepaid cards are also accepted.
Add a credit card
- Go to Settings › Billing Methods
- Click the Add Method button
- Enter your Credit or Debit card details and click Continue
- Enter your billing address details and click Save
Using a Visa Card for International Transactions
Upwork accepts Visa credit cards for both U.S. and international accounts. However, it may display differently in your bill.
All U.S. clients who are paying U.S. freelancers with a Visa card will show the payment as usual. If you are a U.S. client who is also paying an international freelancer (outside of the U.S.), your payment will process separately. You'll see both payments listed on your bill, instead of one.
Prepaid Card Transaction Amount Limits
With the implementation of the fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive (AMLD5) into European Union national legislation, the allowed transaction amounts of anonymous prepaid cards (those in which the identity of the user has not been verified) have been lowered to:
- €50 EUR if you are making an online purchase (such as on Upwork)
As a result, we cannot accept payments made with anonymous prepaid cards that exceed €50 EUR, and any attempts to process them will result in a failed transaction.
Common reasons your card may have been declined include the following:
- You may have entered a card Upwork does not accept, such as a JCB or Union card
- You entered your name or card numbers incorrectly and they do not match your card.
- You may have entered the wrong security code/CVV. (See images below for help.)
- If the above aren't the issue, please contact the card issuer to determine the reason they sent a failure code to Upwork.