The option to enroll in bank account billing will only be available to those with a qualifying Upwork history. If you see it as an option in your Billing Methods, you are eligible. In order to use your bank account as your billing method, you must:
- Have a US billing address and bank account (personal or business, checking or savings)
- Have a qualifying Upwork history including having spent at least $1,000 and at least a 12-month history of on-time payments
- Keep a credit card or PayPal as a backup billing method
Add a bank account
- Go to the Accounts menu > Settings > Billing Methods.
- Click the Add Billing Method button.
- Click bank account option and follow the instructions to enter your bank credentials to link your bank account. If you do not want to link your bank account via your bank credentials, select the 'enter it manually option.' Fill in the form with your bank account information.
- After you finish filling out the form, click Save. This action authorizes Upwork to verify the bank account. Upwork will submit two small deposits to your account.
- Check with your bank to confirm the amounts of the two verification deposits.
- Return to your Billing Methods and click Verify.
- Enter the two amounts and click Verify.
Alternative flat processing fee option
Do you have more than $910 in payments each month? If so, you can save on fees by using your bank account as your primary billing method and opting into a flat $25 monthly payment processing fee instead of the standard 2.75%.
To opt in:
- Go to the Accounts menu > Settings > Billing Methods
- Under the Payment Processing Fee section, click “View or edit”
- Select the flat monthly fee option
- Review and confirm your selection
Once enrolled, if for any reason a payment is made with a different billing method, the standard 2.75% processing fee will apply.