If your profession or industry requires a license, you may need to add your license information to your profile to meet legal and professional requirements. For example, many jurisdictions require lawyers, medical professionals, accountants, and architects to obtain a license in order to work in that profession.
Displaying your license may also help you communicate your qualifications to prospective clients, but unlike a certificate or degree, its primary purpose is to show that you are legally authorized to perform the duties of your profession.
To add your license to your profile, you’ll need to provide the following information, as applicable:
- Licensed profession: Enter your professional title as recognized in your field, such as Attorney at Law or Registered Nurse, for example
- Jurisdiction or licensing body: Enter the name of the entity that granted your professional license. This could be a state board, a national association, or a regulatory council, such as the California Bar Association, Iowa Medical Board, for example
- License number: You must enter your license number, if applicable, or choose N/A if it’s not applicable
- Licensing verification URL: This is a URL link to the website of the issuing entity, where your license can be verified by clients
- Date issued (required) and Expiration date (if applicable): These dates may help clients confirm your license and help assure them that your license is current. Remember to keep this information updated to keep your license visible to clients. If your license does not have an expiration date, check the box beside, "My license does not have an expiration date"
Add your information
- Go to your profile. In the sidebar, you’ll see License +
- Choose the plus sign to open the license entry modal
- Enter all applicable information about your license
- Select Add license
After you add your information, you’ll see your license listed on your profile with a Show details button below it. Logged-in clients can select the Show details button to learn more about your license and access the verification link. Logged-out clients will not be able to see the details of your license.
If your license expires based on the expiration date you provide, we’ll stop showing the license to clients. You’ll see the license marked as expired when you view your profile. You’ll need to update your information if you renew your license and have a new expiration date. You can also choose to delete it.
You can edit or delete your license by choosing the pencil icon or trash icon beside the listed license.
Examples of professions that may require a license:
Health & wellness
- Medical Writing
- Medical Translation
- Telemedicine Services
- Nutrition Planning
- Legal Consulting
- Legal Writing
- Patent Law
- Contract Law
Financial & accounting
- Financial Planning
- Tax Preparation
- Real Estate Consulting
- Property Management
- Appraisal Services
Engineering & architecture
- Structural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
Education & training
- Educational Consulting
- Special Education Services
Technical & scientific
- Environmental Consulting
- Pharmaceutical Consulting
Frequently Asked Questions
The License section is in the sidebar of your profile. Choose the + sign next to License to open the information modal. Enter your applicable information and select Add License
You should add it to the license section of your profile, too. Adding your information there can help improve the visibility of your qualifications to prospective clients.