When a contract ends, clients and freelancers at Upwork have the chance to leave feedback about their experience. With Mid-Contract Feedback, a client can choose to leave public feedback for a freelancer before a contract has ended.
There are two types of feedback for contract at Upwork: public and private. Mid-Contract feedback is public. It will show on a freelancer or agency's Work History, but will not factor into their Job Success Score. Learn more here.
A client can choose to proactively provide Mid-Contract Feedback, or a freelancer can request feedback from the client. The contract must:
- 30 days have passed since the contract started
- There was payment on the contract in the previous 30 days
- The client has not provided feedback in the last 30 days
You can request mid-contract feedback from a client on any open contract the meets these terms. Just choose Request Feedback under the Feedback tab in the contract room!
A client can choose to proactively provide Mid-Contract Feedback, or a freelancer can request it. When a request is sent, clients have 14 days to provide feedback. If a request expires, a freelancer can submit a new request.
- If feedback is not provided within 14 days, the request expires
- If feedback is requested and not yet provided by the client, the freelancer cannot submit another request until the 14-day window has passed
This public feedback will show in a freelancer's work history. There are no impacts to your Job Success Score. Learn more about how we calculate JSS here.
In short, no. Clients will still have the option to leave feedback when a contract ends, however, and that feedback will continue to be factored into your JSS.
Publicly replying to a client’s mid-contract feedback is not an option. If you are concerned about mid-contract feedback you’ve received, we suggest reaching out to your client directly to resolve any issues. Your client can provide additional mid-contract feedback in the future, or feedback when the contract ends.
In order to leave mid-contract feedback certain criteria must be met:
- You must be part of the test group* for this new option
- 30 days have passed since the start of the contract
- There was a payment on the contract in the previous 30 days Feedback has not been provided in the past 30 days (using the date that the feedback was last provided, not the date that the feedback was requested)
*Note: We hope to expand this feature soon!
You can request mid-contract feedback from a client on any open contract (assuming eligibility criteria is met) by clicking the “Request Feedback” option under the Feedback tab in the contract room.
When you click the “Request Feedback” button we send an email and message (in Upwork Messages) to the client to let them know you’ve requested feedback.
When feedback is requested by a freelancer, clients have 14 days to provide feedback. If not provided within this timeframe, the request expires and a freelancer can submit another (if eligibility requirements are still met). If feedback is requested and not yet provided by the client, you won’t be able to submit another request until the 14-day window has passed.