When work is done outside an office and across time zones, communication becomes even more important. Loom is a video messaging tool in Upwork Messages that makes work collaboration easier.
Quickly create and share videos, directly from Upwork Messages. With Loom, you can record your camera, microphone, and desktop simultaneously. It’s free to use for all users regardless of your Upwork account type.
When you go into Upwork Messages, you'll see an option to Record with Loom on the top, under your message recipient’s name. With Loom, you can:
- Record your screen — with voiceover, camera bubble, and other useful features — and share that recording directly in your conversation
- Get more done and make stronger connections by adding quick videos to your messages
- Save time and add clarity to your communications. Make and post a quick video all from your messages.
- Show up for your client/freelancer at any time by making and posting Loom videos to your messages
A Loom account is not required to create or share up to five Loom recordings within Upwork Messages. However, it can be helpful to make an account. If you make a free account, you can create and share more than 5 videos, edit Loom recordings, or delete them.
To use Loom
- Go to Messages and select the conversation of the person you’d like to record the Loom to (or start a new one!)
- Select Record with Loom on the top, under your message recipient's name
- Allow access to your camera and microphone
- Select the video setting you’d like to record. You can record your camera and screen, or each on its own.
- Select Start recording
- If you’re having trouble, make sure your computer allows screen recording in Security and Privacy settings
Frequently Asked Questions
Loom goes to great lengths to keep their users' videos, and by extension, their users safe. You can learn more here. You are the only person that can access your videos until you share the link with someone else in Messages. Neither Upwork, Loom, nor anybody that works at either company will be able to view your video without permission.
A Loom account is not required to create or share up to five Loom recordings within Upwork Messages. However, it can be helpful to make an account. If you make an account, you can create and share more than five videos, edit Loom recordings, or delete them.
Yes, you can record a video and preview it, which allows you to review the content and delete/re-record if necessary. If you have a Loom account, you can access your videos through a dashboard and edit them too.
Right now, Loom is only built into your Messages and isn’t available to record when you post a job. However, you can record a Loom video on the Loom website, then copy and paste the link into the job description.
Zoom, and other instant video platforms, allow you to communicate in real time. Loom provides an easy way to communicate asynchronously.
Loom is only available for desktop users right now on the latest editions of Chrome and Firefox.
Yes, but you’ll need an account in Loom. When you access the full video in Loom’s dashboard, click the down arrow/download button to download the video.
If you’re having other problems (especially with computer permissions), try troubleshooting from Loom.