Fixed-price contract? Go here instead.
Dispute a freelancer’s hours
Upwork Hourly Protection allows you to dispute a freelancer’s hours if you feel the freelancer has billed you for more time than they worked on your project. A dispute is a formal disagreement on an hourly contract about the current invoice from your freelancer.
Keep in mind timing is critical here — you must file any dispute during the five days after the billing period closes. For example, freelancers must submit their hours for the prior week to you by Sunday at midnight UTC. You then have from Monday at noon UTC until Friday at midnight UTC to review those hours and file a dispute, if needed.
File a dispute
- Go to Jobs > My Jobs and choose on the contract
- From the Contract Room, choose the extended (…) menu under the freelancer’s name
- Select “Request a Refund”
- If the freelancer doesn't resolve the matter immediately, return to the same form by Friday to file a dispute
Note: This dispute process isn't available to clients/contracts participating in the Upwork Payroll program.
After you file a dispute
- We immediately alert your freelancer via email and a notification in their Upwork account. If the freelancer accepts the dispute or doesn't respond, we’ll refund the disputed hours to you on behalf of the freelancer as a credit. If the freelancer rejects and challenges the dispute, it will be reviewed by an Upwork Dispute Specialist.
- Our dispute specialist will review and evaluate the freelancer’s Work Diary using the criteria stated in the Upwork Hourly Protection. Please allow up to four business days to receive a dispute decision.
- Although your account has already been charged for all of the hours billed, a dispute puts payment to the freelancer on hold while the dispute specialist reviews the matter.
- If the specialist decides the dispute in your favor, the amount that was billed to you for the hours in question (including Upwork payment processing fees) will be credited to your Upwork account. If the specialist decides in favor of the freelancer, the payment you made will be released to them.
I missed the deadline to file a dispute. What do I do?
Disputes must be filed by the Friday after the freelancer bills the hours. If you miss this window, you and your freelancer should work together to resolve any issues and discuss your freelancer submitting a refund. Still can’t resolve the issue and within 30 days of payment? Please contact customer support to learn about our mediation assistance.
My problem is with the quality of work, not the hours billed. What do I do?
Filing a dispute through Upwork’s process must be based on the hours a freelancer has billed you for. That means cannot file a dispute with us because you are not satisfied with the quality of the freelancer’s work. In those cases, you and your freelancer should discuss the matter and work together to resolve any issues. You can also request a refund from your freelancer. Still can’t resolve the issue and within 30 days of payment? Please contact customer support to learn about our mediation assistance.
What happens if I cancel a dispute?
If you cancel a dispute before it is decided, Upwork takes no action and the payment will be released to your freelancer. You cannot reopen a dispute.
What if I have a fixed-price contract?
Fixed-price contracts are covered by Upwork Fixed-Price Protection.