Your profile name must be what you use to identify yourself in real life. If that doesn't match your legal name, you will have to verify your identity and we will store this as your verified name.
Your verified name must match the name on any bank accounts or payment methods you intend to use, including any middle names, family names, or special characters. You must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on the chosen account, or be able to demonstrate that you are authorized by the business to do so.
You can find your verified name on your invoices, in your contract workrooms, and on your Certificate of Earnings.
What to do if the names don’t match
The Upwork Identity Verification team actively reviews verified name mismatches. In some cases, they can resolve name discrepancies. Those scenarios are:
- You are using a common name variation — We’ll approve recognized name variations, like Robert/Bob or J.J./John Jacob, within 48 hours. If you use an unrecognized name variation or nickname, we’ll require that you verify your identity.
- You are using a joint account — To complete verification you may need to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:
- An original bank statement showing both account holders name.
- You are using a company bank account — To complete verification you may need to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:
- An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
- A business license showing your name and the company name
- Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner
- You are a transgender or non-binary individual — Upwork will make exceptions for transgender or non-binary individuals that have not been able to obtain a name change due to legal or other barriers. Documentation may be required.
If you are experiencing a beneficiary name mismatch, your bank says that the name is mismatched, or any sort of other name mismatch, we can often resolve this issue. If our team finds an issue with your account, we will reach out to you via email within 3-4 business days with follow up instructions on how to correct it.