You can apply to jobs right away, but you’ll have a better chance at getting hired if you do a few things before you apply:
- Complete the Getting Started Checklist (on the Find Jobs page).
- Check out our Online Course for New Freelancers.
- Complete your freelancer profile (including skills, portfolio, and certifications), which serves as your Upwork resume and is your most powerful tool for getting hired.
- Take relevant skill tests to increase your marketability.
To perform a job search:
- Go to the Find Work tab, and select Find Jobs.
- Type a basic keyword search in the box, or click the Advanced Search link for more options.
- On the Search Results page, use the filters on the left to further narrow your results
- When you find a job you want, click its Submit Proposal button.
- Write a customized cover letter and choose an hourly rate or bid.
- Click the Apply to this Job button to submit your application.
To check the status of a proposal:
- Return to the Find Work tab.
- Select Proposals to check the status.
- Also check your Messages tab and Notifications icon often.
To add a payment method:
- Go to the Account menu at top right and select Settings.
- Select Get Paid
- Choose and set up your preferred payment method