This article is about verification requests that send you to a form asking for your (1) Government-issued ID card or passport and (2) Residency verification document.
Did you receive a verification form only asking for your ID and not a residency document? That’s a different process with different ID requirements.
Identity Review Process
We routinely ask freelancers and clients to verify their identities to help keep Upwork safe. You will need to scan two documents in order to verify your identity. Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way.
Upwork will review your uploaded items to verify your identity. This usually takes 48 hours. Upwork will notify you when we complete the review. In addition to the ID/statement used in this initial review, we may require you to submit additional documentation or a short video. In some cases, it may also be necessary to contact you for a live video call.
Your current, valid government-issued photo ID
- This ID must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address, with the exception of passports, which don't need your address
- Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria
- Even when issued by a government agency, we can't accept documents such as student IDs, employee IDs, and library cards
- Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way.
A recent billing statement
- Includes your name and address as well as the utility/bank address
- The dates on your scanned statement must be within six months of the date you upload them
- Acceptable documents include bank statements, credit card statements, utility bills, or any other monthly bill that meets the name, address, and date criteria above
- Your name on the statement must match both your verified name on Upwork and your government ID. Your account may be a joint account, but your name must be on the account and statement
- Your address must match the location information you entered on Upwork
- Don't crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way
Requirements for ID/statement image
- Do not edit the image in any way
- We must be able to clearly see the front of your ID. If the expiration date is on the back of your photo ID, then you should send us a scan of the back of the card, as well
- Your name and address, and the utility company or bank address information must be visible on the billing statement you submit
- All four corners of your ID/statement need to be visible in the image
- Images should be in color and at least 200 dpi
- Please provide a PNG, JPEG, PDF, or BMP file
Tips for taking a photo of your ID/statement
- Take the photo from above, with the ID/statement lying on a flat surface
- Don’t use a flash
- Don’t cover up any part of the ID/statement
- Leave margins on all sides of the image prior to capture
Your Upwork profile must match your verification information
- Upwork profile picture and ID picture must both be of you (they don’t need to be the same photo)
- Upwork profile address must match your address on your ID and statement
- Your Upwork verified name must match the name on your ID