When you hire on Upwork, you pay a 5% Client Marketplace Fee on all payments that you make to freelancers for fixed-price and hourly jobs, Project Catalog projects, bonuses, and BYO contracts.
You also pay a one-time contract initiation fee of up to $9.95 USD for each new Marketplace and Project Catalog contract. We charge this fee when you make the first payment to a freelancer.
* We do offer a discounted Client Marketplace fee of 3% for eligible clients in the U.S. who pay with a checking account. In that case, for example, you’ll pay an additional $3.00 USD on a $100.00 USD payment. Check to see if you’re eligible here.
Benefits of Upwork
These features are available to all clients — no subscription required:
- Access to premium talent, including Rising Talent, Top Rated, and Top Rated Plus
- Ability to invite up to 30 freelancers to your job
- Multiple report options — Weekly Summary, transactions, Work Diary, budgets, timesheet, time by freelancer, time by activity, and custom export
- Coworker teams and advanced member permissions settings
- Activity codes for organizing work on hourly contracts
- Advanced freelancer search
- Only pay a fee when you make payments (as opposed to a monthly subscription cost regardless of whether you have an active Upwork project)
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are subject to the marketplace fee:
- Traditional hourly and fixed-price contracts payments, including bonuses, BYO, expense payouts, and payroll on marketplace contracts.
- Project Catalog contracts
This fee is a charge of up to $9.95 USD for clients on new contracts on Upwork’s Marketplace and Project Catalog. We charge this fee once per contract, when you make the first payment to a freelancer.Learn more about the contract initiation fee.
Contract initiation fees may vary, up to $9.95 USD, as we collect data and feedback. Once complete, we’ll update Help and Community and directly notify all impacted customers in advance of any pricing updates.