Connects are virtual tokens you use to submit proposals for jobs. Submitting a proposal can require anywhere from one to five Connects, depending on factors such as the size and type of project. You do not need to use Connects when a client initiates contact by inviting you to bid or by sending you an offer. Most projects require two Connects to submit a proposal.
- If a project is canceled by the client without making a hire, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned for you to reuse. This does not apply to expired job posts.
- If a job post has been removed by Upwork for a Terms of Service violation, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned for you to reuse.
Note: Withdrawing your proposal will not refund your Connects.
To see your current Connects balance:
- Go to Find Work.
- Your Available Connects balance is shown in the Proposals box on the right.
To check how many Connects needed to submit a proposal:
- Go to the project details page.
- Required Connects is shown at the top right under the Submit Proposal and Save buttons.
To purchase additional Connects (Plus plan):
Connects are sold in bundles of 5 or more. Once you've selected the bundle you wish to purchase, click Add Connects and your account will be automatically charged.
To view your Connects History Report:
The maximum number of Connects you can have at one time is limited to five times your monthly allotment (350 for Freelancer Plus plans and 400 for Agency Plus plans).
Warning: The rollover limit is lower than the purchase limit. If you exceed the rollover limit, surplus Connects will expire at your next billing cycle date.
One of the perks of a Plus plan is keeping your unused Connects for future use. But rollover privileges are not unlimited. The number of Connects you can carry over to the next billing cycle is capped at twice the monthly allotment. Freelancers with the Plus plan can roll over up to 140 Connects (agencies can roll over 160). If you buy too many additional Connects or don't use them for a few months, your leftover Connects will expire and you will not be eligible for a refund.
Examples of what would happen to your Connects on your next billing cycle date
- Freelancer Basic (no rollover)
You started the month with 60 Connects. You used 40. The leftover Connects expire. The next month, you start fresh with 60 again.
- Freelancer Plus (rollover)
You started the month with 70 Connects. You used 40. The leftover 30 Connects roll over. The next month, you have 100 available (30+70).
- Freelancer Plus (over rollover limit)
You hadn't used Connects in several months and started the month with the maximum 210 Connects. You used 40. Only 140 of the leftover Connects roll over. The other 30 surplus Connects expire. The next month, you have 210 available (140+70).
- Agency Plus (rollover)
You started the month with 80 Connects. You used 40. The leftover 40 Connects roll over. The next month, you have 120 available (40+80).
- Agency Plus (over rollover limit)
You started the month with 80 Connects. You bought 150 more. You used 40. Only 160 of the leftover Connects roll over. The other 30 surplus Connects expire. The next month, you have 240 available (160+80).