When work is completed on a fixed-price contract and no further milestones are required, you can end the contract. It’s always smart to talk with your freelancer or agency first to make sure you are on the same page.
Release a Final Payment
Before you end a contract, you will want to consider releasing any funds you’ve already placed in escrow as part of the agreed-upon contract with your freelancer/agency. If you choose to close the contract without releasing the money in escrow, we’ll email your freelancer/agency and request an escrow refund on your behalf.
To release a final payment of any remaining funds in escrow, it needs to be part of an active milestone
To release the final payment of the remaining money in escrow
- Go to Jobs > My Jobs to locate the contract.
- Create a milestone by choosing the Add or Edit Milestones button.
- Add details and set the amount. You can choose to release a full or partial payment (including if you set the milestone at the $5 minimum) from the contract’s remaining escrow funds. Remember, if any funds are left in escrow we will automatically send a refund request to the freelancer/agency you worked with.
- Select Save.
- Approve and release the final payment.
- Choose Pay now. When you approve the milestone, you will be asked if you want to end the contract or keep it open. You can then choose to close the contract.
End a Fixed-Price Contract
You have the ability to end a contract on Upwork any time. It’s important to confirm that all parties are aware and in agreement before a contract is closed. Staying on the same page is important!
To end the contract:
- Go to Jobs > My Jobs to locate the contract. Be sure to activate and release a milestone for any final payments before ending your contract. See above to learn how.
- Choose the End contract button.
- Hover over the (...) options menu and select End contract.
- Choose End Contract to confirm and close.
Once the contract has ended both parties have the opportunity to provide public feedback.