Interviewing and scoping projects are key steps to starting a job on Upwork. By taking the time to learn more at the beginning of a project, you can work to ensure a good outcome and prevent problems from coming up later.
Important Interview Questions
An interview doesn’t have to be long or complicated. It’s a chance to get to know a client or freelancer, learn about a project, and set goals and expectations. Take the time to discuss the project in detail, and make sure everyone clearly understands what will be done and when.
Consider asking these questions:
- What is your timezone, and what hours are you available?
- What are your goals for the project?
- How does the project support your business? Is it part of something bigger?
- Who will lead the project from the client’s side? From the agency’s side?
- What needs to be done, and when?
- How will each step of the project be done and delivered?
- What resources will you need?
- What information will you have to get started?
Clients can learn details about a freelancer’s work history, past feedback, and specific skills. It’s a direct, straightforward way to understand their fit for a job.
Freelancers can learn about a client’s history on Upwork, their business, and their plans and goals for the project. It’s a good way to find out if this is work you want to do.
Project scoping is an important part of an interview. Job posts may not have all the details, and this is a time to discuss the full scope of a project.
Remember to be clear about project needs from start to finish. This is a chance to walk through project details and understand more about each part, such as:
- Reviewing project plans
- Looking at code
- Discussing topic details and storylines
- Identifying project milestones and deliverable parts
- Defining goals and desired results
Project scoping can be very different for different types of work. It usually involves sharing specific information about a project, a business, or a freelancer’s skills. Learn more about sharing information on Upwork here.
Timing and expectations
Good communication helps everyone understand what they need to do. Interviews are a good opportunity to set clear expectations about a project by asking questions such as:
- How long will it take?
- What will it look like? How will it be formatted, and how will it be delivered?
- Will it need to be reviews and edits?
- What is the project schedule? When will work start?
- When does the project need to be finished?
- When and how will you stay in touch and discuss progress?
- Are there possible delays? Why? What are they?
Safety and security
Upwork provides an opportunity to find the best talent for the right job to get things done.
In our global marketplace, you may end up working with someone you don’t know. As with anyone you’ve just met, be cautious about sharing your personal or confidential information by following these best practices:
- Be careful when providing access to anything sensitive. Use limited permissions when possible.
- Be clear about what information will be shared, both before and after a contract has started.
- If someone asks for information that isn’t needed for your project, don’t share it.
- Never share banking or other financial information with an unknown person.
Learn more about our best practices for online safety here.