What do you need done?
When you need work completed, post a job in our marketplace. Then freelancers can find you and you can interview them. To post your job, go to Jobs > Post a Job. You’ll be asked a series of questions to make sure you include all the important details freelancers need. A few key items to consider:
- The scope of work. Include as many details as possible for potential freelancers to consider. What exactly do you need done? Will the freelancer need to be skilled in any special technology or system?
- The project’s deadline. When does the work need to be done? Is this a one-time project or an ongoing relationship?
- Your budget. How much is this job worth to you? Do you prefer to pay per hour (hourly contracts) or a set amount for the whole job or per deliverable (fixed-price contracts)? (Read more below.)
- How to pay. You must add and verify a billing method before you can hire a freelancer.
Do you have advice for jobs like mine?
Yes! Check out our Hiring Resources for guidance targeted to your specific type of project (Web Development, Graphic Design, Data Analysis, etc.). See how to craft a project description, what interview questions to ask, and other tips to help you identify - and hire - the best candidates.
How do I know how much I should be paying a freelancer?
Check out 5 Tips to Determine How Much You Should Pay. In general, the more experience a freelancer needs to have or the more specialized their skillset, the more you should pay for your project. If you pay by the hour the job post form will show you estimated rate ranges for different experience levels (based on jobs in your category) and doesn’t require you to have a set budget in mind. Paying a fixed price allows you to suggest a price for the specified work, but we can’t offer you any estimated budget ranges since the cost is based on the scope of your project.
What's the difference between paying hourly vs. fixed-price?
- Hourly: Billed weekly, automatically, based on the verifiable hours your freelancer works. Options include setting a limit on hours per week or adding a flat weekly payment on top of hours.
- Fixed-price: Pay the freelancer as you receive the work. You control the frequency and size of payments. Initial deposit collected at time of hiring.
Can I post a job for a particular country?
Yes, if you’re a U.S. client looking for exclusively U.S.-based freelancers. Choose “Only freelancers in the U.S. can apply” on the job post form.
Alternatively, any client can specify a location preference on the job post form for any country (or multiple countries). You can also write more specific location needs in your job description (like a city or state). These alternatives help freelancers know if they’re right for you, but your job will still technically be accessible to freelancers everywhere.
You can add or remove any location preferences or U.S.-only restrictions even after the job post is live if you change your mind.
I don’t think my job post is working. How do I get more (or better) proposals?
Check out 5 Ways to Troubleshoot Your Freelancer Job Post. The issue might be something you said—or didn’t say. These tips can help you improve your job post to make it easier for freelancers to find and harder to overlook. Also, check out the additional advice articles below.
I just tried to post a job and can’t. Why?
- If you’re getting the error message, “Error happened during request, please try again later,” please try using a different browser or clearing your browser cache/cookies.
- If you are getting any other error, please contact Upwork Customer Support.
I just posted my job and I can’t see it listed in the marketplace. Why?
It can take up to an hour for your job post to appear.
More Helpful Articles
- Writing an Awesome Job Post: Several examples illustrating best practices for job posts that will attract freelancers with the skills and experience you need.
- The Awesome Job Post Checklist for Clients: How do you take your idea and turn it into a write-up that can captivate the right person for your project?
- Find the Best Freelance Help with an Outstanding Job Post: An overview, from budgets and job visibility to invitations and freelancer types, to help set you up for success.
- 10 Tips For Attracting the Best Freelancers to Your Project: The Upwork Facebook community tells you what they think clients should include in job posts to attract the best talent.
- Payments and Productivity on Upwork: Payment protections, fees, business tools, and secure payments. Get peace of mind that you’re easily and safely paying only for work done.