You are responsible for protecting your computer and your private information everywhere you go, including on Upwork. This article includes tips and best practices you can use to help keep yourself safe from all sorts of potential attacks.
If you believe you have received a phishing attempt through Upwork, from an Upwork user, or about your Upwork credentials, please report it to email@example.com.
Tips to protect your computer
- Regularly update your electronic defenses: antivirus software, browsers, plug-ins, applications, and operating systems. Always install all security patches as soon as they become available.
- Consider uninstalling Adobe Flash and using Google Chrome, which has a built-in Flash player.
- Schedule automatic PC scans with a trusted antivirus program at least once a week. If you don’t currently have one, we recommend getting and running Avast Free Antivirus or Malwarebytes.
- Only complete downloads (files, attachments, software) from trusted sources.
- Log off/turn off your computer when you aren't using it.
- Follow these basic computer security guidelines.
Tips to protect private information
- Don’t click on unknown links or enter your credentials on unknown sites
- Stick to sites that use encryption when sharing personal information online
- Set up strong passwords (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, symbols)
- Use unique passwords – don’t use the same password for multiple accounts
- Don’t share or store passwords where someone else could access them (assume hackers can get at any information on your computer)
- Change your passwords every 90 days
- Learn what to do if your email's been hacked
- Secure your home wifi connection with a strong password
- Don’t treat public computers like your personal computer
- Turn on two-factor authentication when it’s provided
- Be aware of your surroundings – protect your laptop like you protect your wallet
- Back up your data – if your computer crashes or hackers freeze your access, a recent backup can be the difference between a minor inconvenience and a total disaster
- Communicate with your Upwork clients and freelancers via Upwork Messages so that we can assist in protecting your security
You can learn about more targeted attacks in Avoid Phishing & Malware.
For an overview of online safety and security best practices, please visit our Security Center. Or check out our complete online security series by clicking the links below: