Once you’ve invited a freelancer or agency to work with you on Upwork, you can track the status of the invitation on your “Bring Your Own Talent” invitations dashboard.
To access the dashboard, go to Jobs > Bring Your Own Talent
There you’ll see one of the statuses below for each person you’ve invited. You can search for a specific freelancer by name or by email address in the search bar.
- Accepted — Congratulations! You’re ready to start the hiring process
- Pending Registration — This status displays if your freelancer has not created an account yet. You may want to contact them to make sure they received the invitation in their email
- Pending Offer — If your offer is pending, you also may want to contact your freelancer to make sure they received the invitation
- Expired — Invitations without an offer expire in 7 days, and invitations with an offer expire in 30 days
- Withdrawn — When you withdraw an offer, the offer still displays in your invitations with a “Withdrawn” status
- Declined — If your freelancer creates an Upwork account, they can include a message to let you know why they are declining
You can also complete other actions via the dashboard, such as viewing your freelancer’s profile, sending a message on an accepted invitation, or resending or withdrawing an invitation that hasn’t been accepted yet. You’ll find these actions in the options menu (...) of the invitation.
Once your freelancer or agency has accepted your invitation, you’re ready to move on to the next step of hiring your BYO freelancer or agency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your freelancer should receive your invitation almost immediately, in the time it takes to send an email. The time to accept depends on the freelancer — whether they see the message right away, how long it takes them to set up an account, and how fast they review and respond to your offer.
You may want to contact your freelancer to confirm they received the invitation in their email. If not, they may need to check their spam folder. They also won’t receive the invitation if they already have an Upwork account, but the good news is that you can send them an offer directly on Upwork.
If the freelancer has received your invitation but hasn’t responded, you may want to ask if they have any questions or concerns about the offer.
If you need your freelancer to respond by a certain deadline, make sure you let them know.
Yes, if the freelancer hasn’t accepted the invitation yet, you can resend it. Go to Jobs > Bring Your Own Talent to find the invitation and select Resend Invitation.
If the freelancer has not accepted the invitation yet, you can cancel it. Go to Jobs > Bring Your Own Talent and find the invited talent’s name. You can then use the options menu (...) to select Withdraw.
It may be because they already have an Upwork account. If they don’t have an Upwork account, ask them to check their spam folder. If they haven’t received it, you can resend it by going to Jobs > Bring Your Own Talent to find the invitation and selecting Resend Invitation.