The Upwork Message Center offers users secure file sharing, video, and voice calling tools. You can use this space to discuss projects, interview, share documents, and complete contracts.
Chat with your clients, freelancers, and team members in real time, or leave a text message for them when they come online.
When a client sends an invite, direct message, or proposal response on Upwork, it creates a message room. This space allows you to chat about a project and also keeps track of your conversation over time.
You can add other people to your rooms, create new rooms, and archive rooms when you're finished using them. To create a new room, click on the plus sign in the left navigation bar of the Upwork Message Center, and add any other Upwork users you know.
Different room members have different abilities.
- The Owner is the user who created a room. For example, the client who created a job is the owner of an interview or contract room.
- The Admin can invite other members into a room.
- Members have been invited to join a room.
Message rooms have a full set of tools to support interviews and contract communications.
- Share files and documents
- Connect with video and voice calls
- Take notes
- Share screenshots
View Your Conversations
You can view your conversations in two formats. There's a view for recent and unread messages, and also a categorized view for you to see your favorites, interviews, rooms, and people.
If you send or receive a message, it will create an email notification. These will be sent to the user email account you registered with Upwork. You are able to reply to any message from these email notifications, too.
If you start to receive too many email notifications, or if you don't wish to receive any at all, you can change your settings. Choose the Settings gear icon and click on Notifications to update your preferences.
You can attach files under 95 MB or link to your Dropbox account from within your Upwork Messages. Just click the paperclip icon in the message box to add.
You can take and attach a screenshot from within the Upwork desktop app.
The Upwork Message Center provides a personal notepad for each room that allows you to take notes, brainstorm, and make lists. You can access these notes at any time by clicking on the icon in the upper right corner and selecting “Personal Notepad.”
Use Video and Voice Features
Upwork Messages contract rooms have built-in video and voice call service with screen sharing capability. Simply choose the phone button at the top right of your contract room to start a call directly from Upwork.
Note that only users who are already part of a conversation can join your call. Learn more about video and voice calls here.
To create a new room, click the plus sign on the left navigation bar to start a room for any topic and add users as needed (as long as they exist in your address book).
Click on the gear icon in your compose box to change the default behavior of "enter" from sending the message to creating a line break (or back again). Line breaks can also be added by pressing Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Enter or Shift+Enter.
To mark a message as unread, click the gear icon to the right of a sent message and select "Mark as Unread."
Click the gear icon on the top left of your Upwork Messages screen and select "Out-of-Office Responder" in the drop-down menu. Once on the "Out-of-Office Responder" page, toggle the responder on, and set your away message and the start/end dates.
In your Message Room, choose the Menu, then select Archive this room. To hide a room, choose Hide on the menu.
Note: You can only archive Group Rooms. One-on-one, contract, and interview Message Rooms can't be archived, but they can be hidden.
If you start to receive too many notifications, click on the Settings gear icon (top right corner) and click on Notifications to update your preferences. You can adjust the frequency of notifications, the topics and events you wish to track, and the account where your updates will be displayed.
You can also choose to turn off notifications altogether.
- Enter: Sends message
- Alt+Enter/Ctrl+Enter/Shift+Enter: Creates new line within message entry box
- Up-Arrow: Edit last comment
- Esc: Closes @mention box if open; closes emoticon panel if open; cancels edit if editing message context
- Alt+up/down: For next/prev rooms
- Alt+shift+up/down: For going between rooms and unread rooms
- Ctrl+shift+f: Go to search
- Ctrl+shift+v: Paste a quote as text only
- /giphy [text]: To add an animated GIF in conversation, type /giphy on a new line followed by a keyword or phrase. You’ll see a GIF chooser pop up, and you can click “Shuffle” until you’re happy with the GIF displayed. Pressing “Send” will then display the GIF you’ve chosen in your Upwork Messages room.
Message or Personal Notepad formatting shortcuts
- Wrap text in two "**"s or "__"s for bold: **bold** or __bold__
- Wrap text in a single "*" or "_"s for italic: *italic* or _italic_
- Wrap text in two "~~"s for strikethrough: ~~strikethrough~~
- Wrap text in "`"s for single-line codeblocks: `code-block`
- Note that no formatting happens within code blocks. This includes URL linking.
- Wrap text in "```" for multi-line code blocks (first line must contain just the quotes):
multi-line code block
- Start lines with ">" for blockquotes.
- Emoji use the standard ":emoji_name:" format (colon wrapped)
- Unicode emoji are supported (e.g. from a smartphone's emoji keyboard)
- You can find additional emoji here
Personal Notepad formatting shortcuts
- Bullet List: Start lines with "-" or "*"
- Nested list item: Start lines with spaces
- Numbered List: Start lines with number followed by "." (ex. 1.)
- Headings: Start line with #, ##, ###, ####, #####, ######
- Links: Use the format [text](url) or <url>
Advanced Search Queries
For queries of just one word, double quotes are not needed. For queries consisting of two or more words, please add quotation marks or the second word won't be included in the search.
- from:"Bob Jones"
- Get messages sent by a certain user
- in:room A
- in:"Room for Project A"
- Search for messages in a specific room
- Finds messages before/on the specific time in yyyyMMdd format
- Finds messages after/on the specific time in yyyyMMdd format