Custom fields allow you to track more specific data within job postings, contracts, and payments to better manage your work here. These custom fields become filters and are linked to different jobs, offers, invoices, and payments for easy tracking and reporting.
Most often, we see requests for custom fields that are very department-specific. For example, HR might want to see how many contracts are international. Accounting may need to track spending in a more detailed way.
Custom fields must be created by Upwork manually and added to your account. You’ll also need authorization from a stakeholder on the account before you make a request. Consult with the administrator of the account about the best options for your Enterprise experience. You can set them up on the Transaction History report, and also on the CSV export under Jobs > All Contracts.
How to create custom fields
- You’ll need the following information:
- Field name: What will be the name of this custom field?
- Field type: What kind of data will this field hold? Options include freeform, dropdown selection, numeric, or amount
- Field requirement: Will this field be required for posting a job, making an offer, or both?
- User permissions: Who should have permission to use this custom field? Is it meant for all users or only specific users within a team?
- Send the information above to our Enterprise Support team by completing this form
Our team will review the request and contact you if they have any questions. We’ll let you know when the field is ready to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
We don’t have a limit to the amount of custom fields you can add. Each request to add a new custom field is reviewed by our team, who will let you know if it can be added.
Yes, custom fields can be updated or edited as needed. Note: We aren’t able to retroactively update reports and invoices that have already been generated with the previous custom field information.
Absolutely, custom fields can be configured to be accessible only to users within a specific team. This allows for more granular control over the data being tracked.
Typically, requests for new custom fields should come from an administrator within your company and we create them, when approved. You’ll also need authorization from a stakeholder on the account before you make a request. Consult with the administrator of the account about the best options for your Enterprise experience.