If you’re having trouble withdrawing your earnings from Upwork, please see below for further information.
I’m unable to withdraw my earnings
There are a number of factors that could be preventing you from withdrawing your earnings at this time:
- In order to withdraw your earnings from Upwork, you must set up a withdrawal method and enter your tax information. For security reasons, when you set up a new withdrawal method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added.
- All earnings on Upwork are subject to review and security periods before they can be withdrawn. You can check the date that your funds will be available from your Transaction History report.
- If there are any restrictions on your account, you may be unable to withdraw funds until the restriction has been lifted. Please refer to the relevant notification and instructions to resolve the limitation.
- For agencies, the agency is responsible for all payments to the agency’s members. Payments from agencies to agency members are not protected or facilitated by Upwork. Please speak to your agency owner or agency finance manager to resolve any payment issues.
- If you receive an error message when processing a withdrawal please click here for information on any site issues that may be affecting the Upwork platform. If there are no site issues and your withdrawal cannot be processed please contact support for further assistance.
I have not received my withdrawal
If your withdrawal was successfully processed and has not been received, Upwork can assist in locating the funds. Please refer to the information below for help with the specific method you used to withdraw funds.
Note: Public holidays in the U.S. and your own country can delay withdrawals. Click here for further information.
Direct to local bank withdrawal requests are processed within one business day. Payments should arrive at your bank within four business days.
Upwork can trace a missing payment for you at no charge, however, you must wait eight full business days after the withdrawal date to initiate the trace. To request a payment trace, please contact support and include a screenshot of your bank statement or online transaction history from the time the withdrawal was made up to the time you submit the request.
We process ACH Direct to U.S. Bank deposit requests within one business day. ACH payments should arrive at your bank within two to five business days. Some banks impose a waiting period on funds from incoming transfers. Please ask your bank how long it will take for your funds to clear.
Upwork can trace a missing ACH payment for you at no charge, however, you must wait five business days after the withdrawal date to request the trace. If your funds have not arrived after this period, please contact support to request a payment trace.
We process wire transfer requests the next business day.
If the transfer is successful, the funds could hit your account within minutes of being processed. However, depending on the country and bank, it could take several days to arrive because of banking complexities. Some banks impose a waiting period on funds from incoming (and especially international) wire transfers. Please ask your bank how long it will take for your funds to clear.
Upwork can trace a missing payment for you at no charge, however, you must wait eight full business days after the withdrawal date to initiate the trace. If your funds have not arrived after this period, please contact support to request a payment trace.
If you haven't already, please check that your PayPal account is fully activated and verified. You can verify by linking your credit card, debit card, or bank account to your PayPal account. Please log in to your PayPal account and follow the instructions to complete the verification process. You are responsible for making sure that PayPal provides the services you need before you transfer money.
In most cases, your withdrawal from Upworkwill transfer to your PayPal account immediately. However, there are occasions when it may take up to 24 hours. If it has been more than 24 hours, please contact PayPal support and provide them with the email address that funds were sent to. If they are unable to locate the payment, please contact Upwork support for further assistance.
When you request a payment through Upwork to your Payoneer account, you should receive a notification from Upwork within 24 hours.
If you don't get an Upwork notification of your transaction in 24 hours:
- Log into your Payoneer account to confirm receipt of funds
- Check your email filters, such as your spam, trash and/or junk folders for these notifications and add both Payoneer and Upwork to your email contacts
- Check the email address connected to your Payoneer account for a notification that they have transferred the funds to your account
If the above steps did not resolve the issue, please contact Payoneer support and provide them with the email address that funds were sent to. If they are unable to locate the payment, please contact Upwork support for further assistance.
If you haven't already, please check that your M-Pesa account is fully activated and complete the necessary verification process. You are responsible for making sure that M-Pesa provides the services you need before you transfer money. Please note M-Pesa is currently only available to users in Kenya.
Most M-Pesa transactions will transfer to your M-Pesa account immediately, but some may take up to 24 hours on weekdays or next business day on weekends. If it has been more than 24 hours and one business day, please contact support for further assistance.
My withdrawal was returned
If your withdrawal fails and the funds are returned to your Upwork account, you will be notified by email. We will cover all fees resulting from an Upwork error. If the transfer fails because you provided incorrect information, the funds will be returned to you minus the following costs:
- Original withdrawal fee
- Any return fees incurred by Upwork
- Any additional fees or penalties your provider may assess
If you returned a PayPal transaction back to Upwork and it's not showing in your Upwork account, that's because returned funds from PayPal don't automatically get routed to you. To remedy this problem, please contact support and provide the Unique Transaction ID number sent to you by PayPal when you sent your PayPal funds back to your Upwork account. We will trace your transaction and credit it back to your account. We can't return the PayPal transaction fee because that fee covers processing expenses.